Sunday, August 07, 2011

Hard to Say Goodbye


It is hard to say goodbye.  I am just terrible at it.  I was watching a TED talk about the power of being vulnerable and the strength you have in following your impulse (there is more to it than that, so check it out below).  It was a light in a dark part of my heart.    The woman's talk made me realize why I hate saying good bye.  I hate it because it exposes me.  It is saying, I love you, I'll miss you, you have a place in my heart that can only be filled by you.  

My usual mechanism when saying goodbye, is to skip it.  It turns out, that is quite rude, and points out what a chicken I am.  I have been trying to skip out on goodbyes for ages.  This year visiting the Czech Republic, I have been trying to say goodbye, without fear.  Even though it is hard.  I spent the morning saying goodbye.  I said goodbye to many folks who, years ago, I thought I might never see again.  Now they are a part of my life.  I had to say goodbye to my husband.  The whole time, I was telling myself, if I could just keep it up for a count of five, I could keep it up.  It is like a sporting event, if you just keep running, you can keep running.

Saying goodbye is important. It reminds me how much I love my friends, and that I want them in my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment