Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Guts Doctor

My husband has been suffering (though cheerily) with an illusive ailment for several years.  It swells his digestive track, and makes his life miserable.  There has been little to do to make it better.  Unprocessed food and pharmaceuticals have been nearly ineffective, but this story isn't about that.

Last week he swallowed a small camera, that made its way through his digestive system and then out (see photo).  It sent information to a pack that he wore all day.  The pill got stuck, and he had to have a procedure to push it through.  While in his throat, the doc took a biopsy.

He even smiles when there's a complication.

As my husband woke up from the ordeal, the doctor talked to me.  He told me he took a biopsy, and that the problem might be Eosinophilic esophagitis.  Eosinophilic esophagitis?  That sounds like something someone made up to use 23 letters in a name.  He explained it to me briefly, and as he walked away, I took out my fancy phone and Googled it.  You can too if you want, though it is rather boring.  I had it on Wikipedia in 5 seconds, reading about it.


Do not ask where this pill has been!

Today, ten days later, I got a letter from the doctor in the US mail.  It was printed from the same Wikipedia site I read, stem to stern, last week.  I know the intent was to inform us about what is going on inside my husband's body, which is really kind.  It did make me laugh a bit too.  I'd like to welcome the "guts doctor" to the Information Era!  It saves paper.

1 comment:

  1. Heh, we have been meaning to email you and ask what they found. On the one hand, thats way cool that they figured it out and it seems relatively easy to treat! On the other hand, its kinda boring... I was actually kinda hoping they would find a secret entrance to the bat cave.

    ReplyDelete