Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Two Days of Hands

Somehow, my husband set his phone to play music as an alarm, last year.  The phone didn't hold much music, and the first song on the list was "With My Own Two Hands", by Ben Harper.


Every morning, a few minutes before seven: descending bass line....dun, dun, dun, dun, dun.....I can change the world, one, two, with my own two hands....


The first few days that this song pulled me out of my slumber, and got my feet to the floor, I was in a fog.  I'm usually in a fog until 10 am.  I wasn't processing the song, it was just noise.  Here is the song. You only have to listen to the first 5 bars or so, after that it is obscenely repetitive and inspirational.





Normally I can lie in bed for a slow start, but not to this song.  By the fifth measure, I was out of bed.  It was like a bit in my mouth, I had to get up.  I started to wonder why this song was making me  uncomfortable and exhausted.  (I started thinking about it after 10am.)


It is a tall order to wake up everyday being prompted to change the world with your hands.  You can't do it by lying in bed until 7 am, or, that is what it feels like if it's the first thing you hear every day for a month. 


I do want to change/influence the world for the better, every day.  Yet, I don't know how I did yesterday, and I'm unsure how I might do today.  Gandhi said that I should be the change I want to see in the world.  Jesus said, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.  I'm vacillating between doing good, and just being.  Am I doing enough?  No.  Am I enough by design? Yes!

What I want is that just being me, is enough to make the world a better place.  I can't wake up to, "I Can Change The World" because no one can DO enough.  I don't want to try.  Waking up to this song just makes me feel like a failure. 


Little darlings, I decided that if I have to wake up to a song, I choose, "Here Comes the Sun".





1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:23 PM

    That is SUCH a Tyson song to pick. I would choose this one.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFV8dHrZYM&ob=av2n
    Faith

    ReplyDelete